Pizzerias and convenience stores are always looking for how they can get a leg up on the competition — especially during the pandemic. Pizza is beloved, convenient, and delivery-friendly, but how can pizzerias and c-store pizza operations ensure they don’t get overlooked by customers?
Enter the c-store and pizzeria limited time offer (LTO). Long part of the savvy operator’s marketing plan, LTOs are now being reprioritized and leveraged as essential sales tools.
3 Ways Customers Respond to C-Store and Pizzeria Limited Time Offers
LTOs are effective because they tap into three things that encourage customers to take action:
1. Sense of urgency: Placing a deadline or quantity limit on your LTO compels customers to act immediately which is, of course, a sure-fire traffic driver.
2. Fear of missing out: The advent of social media has introduced FOMO — and it’s real. Research shows that 56% of people are afraid of missing events, deals, or news.1 LTOs incentivize customers to engage with your offering “now” to be among a select group that got in on the sale.
3. Attractive pricing: Who doesn’t love a good deal? Customers perceive getting a bargain on an LTO as a particular win since they’re paying less for premium offerings.
Add Extra LTO Appeal
There may be a certain amount of human nature that drives customers to respond to your LTOs, but you can also increase the odds with these simple tactics:
- Bundle: Customers love your pizza, but maybe they aren’t aware of your other pizza dough-inspired innovations including appetizers like pizza fries or sticky-sweet cinnamon rolls for dessert. Get ’em hooked on a variety of items by offering a bundle deal. They’re buying the pizza anyway, so an extra buck or two to try something new is a value-add — plus, it’s a great solution for families whose members don’t necessarily agree on what to eat.
- Donate: LTOs that include a charitable component generally inspire customers to do the right thing. Whether it’s your shop donating a portion of proceeds to a good cause or asking customers for an extra contribution, it’s an easy win. Customers feel great about supporting something meaningful, and in their eyes, your operation gets the halo effect of good deeds by acting on something you care about.
- Comfort: As seasons change, so do comfort foods. LTOs that feature timely promotions keep your menu fresh year around. It also prevents customers from getting restless about searching for variety and comfort-specific tastes and textures.
- Celebrate: Maybe one of your employees came up with a tasty and unique combo of pizza toppings or suggested an awesome event- or holiday-inspired recipe. Why wait to celebrate? Add it as an LTO (and give your employee props by naming it after them).
- Introduce: Customers have an appetite for LTO exclusivity, and some of the latest Alive & Kickin’ par-baked crusts feed the need:
- Crunch Time Cheddar Thin Crusts boast a bold burst of cheddar cheese flavor
- Italian Heritage Crusts feature a robust, flavorful recipe that incorporates a hint of garlic and tempting texture
- Cheese-Stuffed Pizza Crusts are a tasty combination of traditional thickness and a rope of mozzarella cheese enclosed in the outer edge
Pizza popularity continues to climb because of and despite the global pandemic. Pizzeria limited time offers or their c-store counterparts are effective ways to keep pace with the competition. Remain relevant in the category by leveraging customer preferences and amazing products like those found in our Pizza Crust Types Comparison Guide. Click the button below to download your copy now!
1Optinmonster, 25+ Powerful FOMO Statistics to Skyrocket Sales (2020), January 3, 2020